History of Landulph Memorial Hall



To provide a Memorial to the men of the Parish, who served their Country in the Second World War; Landulph Parish Council had the idea of building a Village Hall. A public meeting held in May 1947 confirmed the idea and fund raising started in earnest.

A piece of land near the Cargreen Playing field was purchased for £20 and the Trust Deed was drawn up and signed 26th July 1951, by the Chairman of the Parish Council.

According to the Parish Council minutes, a constitution was drawn up, to include the 12 organisations in the Parish. The first AGM was held in January 1952. It became a registered charity in July 1956 and £2,087 had been raised by that time.

By 1969 it was felt that the site was unsuitable because of access, so the Parish Council set about finding another site and was offered the present site for £600, the previous site being sold back to the owner.

The full cost of the hall was £12,700, a grant of £6,240 was obtained from the Ministry of Education and Science, £1,200 from Cornwall County Council and Landulph Parishioners raised £5,260. The 1st turf was cut 28th Feb 1970.

By this time there was a lot of unrest in the Parish that the hall would not be able to run itself and would have to be supported by the rates. This prompted one of the councillors to organize a petition, which was worded: – “WE, THE UNDERSIGNED ARE IN FAVOUR OF A MEMORIAL HALL PROVIDED IT IS NOT A CHARGE ON THE RATES”. 231 out of 268 parishioners signed.

This caused a lot of interest in the Press and Television however it paid off as it made everyone more determined to keep fund raising to pay for the running costs.

The Chairman of Cornwall County Council the late Alder K J Foster finally opened the Memorial Hall 19th September 1970.

Fund raising and interest free loans during the 1980’s paid for Annexe and Snooker room, kitchen extension and double-glazing in the main hall.

1995. £28,000 was raised in grants to extend the annexe for a store and toilets including disabled also the car park surfaced with tarmac and white lined for 47 car spaces, the project completed in 1996.

1997. Central Heating was installed in the main hall. A new roof and replacement Upvc windows in the annexe, and snooker room, together with a security door, with the help of £9,500 grants and an interest free loan of £3,000 from CRCC, paid back over 3 years.

1998. Table’s store was added between the main hall and annexe.

2000. Internal Marquee donated by Party 2000 millennium group.

2001. A lottery grant of £19,200 paid for the replacement of the wood floor in the main hall and a suspended ceiling together with insulation in the annexe walls.

2002. Awning fitted to main hall over patio, P A system with hearing loop in main hall and annexe funded by £1000 Pirate Radio and £5,000 Awards for All.

2003. An extension was built to facilitate a disabled toilet and the flat roof at the front was replaced with ridge at a cost of £47,000. With the help of Caradon grants officer £34,000 was secured by grants the remainder raised by own funds and an interest free £5,000 loan from Caradon paid back over 5 years.

2004. All curtains replaced including stage.

2006. Snooker Room refurnished and gas heating installed with £5000 grant from Awards for All .

2008. Store extended between Hall and Annexe for under 5’s use, at a cost of £17,000 most from grant funding.


The hall is a valuable well-used facility for this parish and surrounding area.

Written by Mavis Edmonds, Honorary Treasurer 1983 – 2008.

This site uses cookies for navigation